Majors & Degrees
Industries that provide food, renewable fuels, medicine and other materials are—quite literally—rooted in plant studies. As populations grow, the world needs scientists and professionals who understand relationships and interactions between plants and the environment. With that knowledge, you can discover innovative plant systems that maximize production, conserve resources, and minimize environmental damage.
We offer two customizable degree options with diverse, interdisciplinary courses taught in real-world settings by faculty mentors eager to guide and motivate you. Let us help you decide whether Sustainable Plant Systems or Plant Sciences is the right major for you.
B.S in Sustainable Plant Systems
Through partnership between The School of Plant Sciences and The Department of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science, the interdisciplinary Sustainable Plant Systems major prepares students to advance the science of modern agriculture and crop production.
You’ll gain a solid foundation in plant, soil and water science along with practical skills and training in sustainable agricultural practices, then faculty mentors will challenge you to apply technological innovation to developing and improving crop management practices in field, greenhouse production as well as in urban landscapes. You’ll do this alongside industry partners through hands-on learning that outfits you with expertise and connections.
The program is right for you if:
- you are interested in agricultural research, production, consulting, sales or management,
- you want to research, test, and analyze soil, microorganisms, and plants,
- you see yourself working in field or greenhouse settings applying science and new technology to precisely manage soil and field crop production in ways that increase plant grown and yields with less water and chemical inputs,
- you’re interested in developing and improving new crop plant hybrids for the public and private sectors,
- you have a passion for working in collaborative teams within industries related to agriculture and the environment,
- you’re interested in advancing legislation that promotes agribusiness and sustainable plant systems,
- you want to educate the next generation about sustainable plant systems, or
- you want to run your own business.
A Comprehensive, Hands-on Education
The School of Plant Sciences and The Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Sciences offer a broad, inclusive and welcoming community where you’ll learn from leading scientists and passionate educators who are driven to provide you with the knowledge, skills and experience you need to prepare you professionally. Our integrated approach combines broad training in the sciences, practical skills in science and agriculture and global perspectives necessary for a sustainable future.